Sweet, briny Wild American Shrimp marries spicy, earthy flavors to make this Shrimp Tomato Flatbread a favorite for any party appetizer or dinner.
Note: I am working with American Shrimp Processors Association to bring you easy-to-prepare recipes using uh-mazing Wild Gulf Shrimp.
Now. Check my YouTube channel, Real Food Right Now for the video. Turn up the volume if you like rock music! Or head straight to the recipe below.
- You can make a fresh crust, but save time and use a premade flatbread. I did.
- And be sure you know where your shrimp comes from. You’ll not only support local shrimpers when you buy shrimp from a trusted source, you’ll enjoy delicious-tasting shrimp that is good for you and the oceans.
- Need to know where to buy Wild Gulf Shrimp? I got you. Check #WildAmericanShrimp.
Lastly, and most importantly. I promise. You will not have leftovers.
Shrimp Tomato Flatbread
Serves 2 for dinner or 6 for appetizer
10 ounces of medium Wild Gulf Shrimp, peeled and deveined
½ cup olive oil, divided
1 premade flatbread, rectangle or round
1 cup arugula/baby spinach mix
1 cup of grape tomatoes
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 ounces feta cheese
2 ounces goat cheese
Parmesan Reggiano cheese
2-3 small sprigs fresh basil
2-3 sprigs flat leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Toast the coriander seeds in a small skillet over medium heat for about six to seven minutes or until you can smell the aroma. Shake often. Remove from heat. Let cool. Grind the seeds in a mortar and pestle or a clean coffee grinder.
- While the seeds toast, pat the shrimp dry with paper towels.
- Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise and add to a medium bowl. Add the cumin, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and ground coriander.
- Add two to three tablespoons of olive oil to the bowl and stir.
- Add the shrimp to the seasoned tomatoes. Stir to coat the shrimp adding another tablespoon of oil if needed.
- Spread olive oil on the flatbread crust to the edges.
- Drizzle a few teaspoons of oil over the greens and toss with your hands to coat.
- Arrange the greens on the flatbread like a bed.
- Arrange the shrimp on top of the greens. Do the same with the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the feta, goat and Parmesan cheeses over the top evenly.
- Zest a lemon over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven nine to eleven minutes depending on how large the shrimp are and how crispy you like your crust.
- While the flatbread bakes, chop the fresh basil and parsley.
- Remove the flatbread from the oven to a clean cutting surface.
- Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the top. Sprinkle the fresh herbs over the top. Slice and serve immediately.